Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Photoblog Beginnings

Hello. My name is Matthew Greer, and this is my photography blog. This is my first time blogging, and I am starting it for a number of reasons: first, I want to share my photography and learn from comments and suggestions of other people; I also want to share what I've learned and discovered about photography, including the art itself, the equipment I use, and the editing I've done; and finally, I want to use this to put down ideas and goals for my photography, in the hope that it will give me further direction.

I will keep it simple to begin - I shall share with you an image, and the address to my photo website where I have an expanding collection of my work so far.

First - an image.
A little about the image - I shot it with my recently acquired Sigma 20mm f/1.8 on my Nikon D70s. I was nervous about getting this lens because I so often prefer telephoto, but it has great close-focusing capabilities, excellent sharpness, and beautiful bokeh (pronounced 'boquet', and refers to how the lens renders out of focus (OOF) elements).

I often shoot macros with my Nikon 60mm Micro (which goes to full 1:1 macro), but this lens is able to get close enough for larger objects (such as this flower), and has more depth of field naturally, because it is much wider. Read more on how focal length effects depth of field (DOF) here: Understanding Depth of Field

Finally - my website. www.picasaweb.google.com/mgreerphoto

I will be back to talk more about my work, techniques, the Picasa web albums, and more.

Thanks for taking the time.

Matt Greer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Photography and Tutorials! Thank you for providing such helpful information.
Would love to see a BIO i.e. how you got started, etc.

Antonia